Winter of 2009
• Vets on the Bay Event -Sunday, Sept. 20
We invited wounded warriors, family and friends to join us for a Day of “Sun & Fun” on the Bay as we cruised to St. Michaels, Maryland
• Look for the date for the Vets on the Bay volunteers meeting for volunteers who wish to help with the 2010 Vets on the Bay project. Our thanks to all the volunteers who made the VOB project successful during the boating seasons of 2007-2009.
Volunteers were trained to help with this special project which was designed as a relaxing day on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay, for wounded military personnel and their families. The participants in the events in 2007-2009 are returning heroes from war zones in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Many of the participants have suffered traumatic brain injury and require special consideration as they are healing. Our events are well planned days of quiet recreational activity with supportive volunteers who guard their privacy, provide wonderful food and welcome them back to our grateful country.
Woodie Woodside 1920-2009
Farewell, old friend and Old Salt, in the best sense of the term.
Partnership Underway with the Mariners School
Interested in getting your commercial captain's license or other certification? We have negotiated an agreement with the Mariners School that will allow members to obtain their Captain’s License while receiving a 25% discount. Read more in the Members section. Not a member? Join now for this great benefit.
• Surface Navy Association Symposium (SNA), Washington, DC, January 15-17. 2009. USNSF participated for the 4th year in the SNA Symposium. Our thanks to SNA for allowing us to share our mission with members and Corporate sponsors at this event. We would also like to thanks BAE Systems and Booz Allen Hamilton who were sponsors for theVets on the Bay events in 2007.
• Norfolk Naval Sailing Association (NNSA) and Navy Sailing met in late January to discuss expansion of the VOB project to the Norfolk area.
• The USNSA Yearbook is being updated and will be available on line or on disc for USNSA members in the Members Only section. Our membership is an active and mobile group. So, we ask all of you to please check your information online. Corrections and changes may be sent by email to email@example.com
• The date for the All Services Single-handed Sailing Championship held in conjunction with the US Naval Sailing Academy is to be determined. The winner of this event that is held annually will be the military repersesntative in the National Single-handed Championship. The “All Services” is open to all active duty military personnel, reserve, National Guard and Coast Guard personnel.